Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The definitive bittorrent client for Linux

So yeah, I've tried almost every bittorrent client out there for Linux. After many months of waiting for it to improve I gave Transmission another go, and surprisingly it worked quite good, although it's still banned on some trackers. I even built some packages for Ubuntu Edgy and Feisty, you can find those here.

So the experience with Transmission was a good one, but it didn't go without its bumps. The first point against it is that it's still banned from many private trackers and I'm a member of quite a few, so that's a no no for me. The other thing that happened is that after a while it refused to build on my machine (I was using the svn version). I haven't tried to build it again, but oh well, I've found a better alternative anyway.

The next candidate was Deluge. This is a very nice client, but it is way too unstable to be my main client. Another thing that I didn't like was the inability to disable DHT, something that is mandatory on most private trackers. That and the low speeds that I always got persuaded me to try another client.

Enter KTorrent, one of the best clients on this roundup. It has a lot of useful features like DHT, a built-in search engine among other things. This one worked almost perfectly, although the speeds weren't the best. That and it was banned from one of my favorite trackers and due to this I moved on.

I needed a nice looking client with a clean interface that showed just the necessary. I didn't need a bloated interface with 55 columns showing me everything it can. I don't want to know what bit the thing is downloading right now. I don't need a percentage calculator and a progress bar, one is enough. I also wanted control. Not so much that I get lost in menus that show me things that I don't know the meaning of, but enough to get the best performa

So, if you have read this blog before then you might remember my "An even better bittorrent client for Linux" article in which I reviewed qBittorrent. Well, I too remembered it and went ahead and downloaded the latest version. Good news people, they now provide a repository for us Ubuntu users, so we have it easy with the updates and quick bug-fix releases.

Well, for me this is the definitive bittorrent client for Linux. Why? Well, for onc, its interface is very clean and it presents you the information you need to know, simple and to the point. It also allows you to control the most important things, like which port it should listen too, maximum and minimum speeds of torrents, the maximum connection number, etc. Another thing I like is that it allows you to set a fixed share ratio for all torrents, so when your torrents reach that share ratio they will automatically stop seeding.

qBittorrent also allows you to enable or disable DHT and PeX (Peer Exchange). This is a really great feature every bittorrent client that wants to take itself seriously should have. Another cool thing is that you can tell qBittorrent to check a certain directory in your computer to fetch new torrents automatically so you don't have to add them by hand. All this and the fact that its constantly developed and updated with new features make it my client of choice on any Linux distribution. Even if there isn't a package available for it it is not difficult to build from source. Pardus users just have to install QT4 and export some environment variables, its all in the readme. All in all, this is a very solid and very good bittorrent client, try it out!

38 comments:

hst said...

Hey there, nice article.
But I wonder, why a tracker would ban specific bittorrent clients?
Do you know something about this? :)

Zach said...

Hi, I'm one of the Deluge developers.

You might be interested in our latest release, 0.5.1.1. In addition to being able to disable DHT now, it also has support for UPnP, Peer Exchange, and Encryption.

- zachtib

Arturo said...

First, thanks for the comments. Second, private trackers ban specific bittorrent clients because they don't report correctly to the tracker, causing bad statistics, etc. You can even cheat to give your ratio a boost if you know how with some clients, so that's why some clients are banned. Transmission is banned because it doesn't respect the specified announce time interval, for example.

About the new deluge release, I will try it out at a later time. Right now qBittorrent serves me well and since both are using libtorrent by Arvid Norberg I don't think there is such a big difference between the two clients feature-wise.

Arturo

Shewdiz said...

hey at first sight which I saw your blog I thought you copied my blog, we are so simmilar !
the same age, both computer student, and your way of writing is similar to my posts !

I would be glad to be in touch with u.
I am gonna link to ur blog soon.

Arturo said...

Hey, I DID copy your blog! (I'm kidding!! XD). I'd like to meet you too, ehm, got an email address or something?

Cheers!
Arturo

Sneezy Melon said...

Try out Azureus if you have no problem with Java. It lets you configure almost every thing.

任安任安 said...

素人自拍無碼女優自拍密錄館正妹無名相簿賞片俱樂部正妹牆正妹牆成人正妹牆成人 影片星野亞季星野亞西主題星野亞西樣式星野亞西桌布星野亞矢星野涼宇星野美由星野akari星空網路聊天室星穎成人頻道視訊 辣妹嘿咻情色 網情色成人 網kk 視訊聊天愛愛一葉情貼影色站露點girl532018成人咆哮小老鼠視訊聊天免費成人片線上成人影片真人野球拳免費聊天交友ut視訊080aa片直播383成人免費A片柔情聊天網一對多視訊聊天人妻貼圖0204movie免費影片

劉WileyMares said...

It's great!!.............................................

函松 said...

辛苦了!祝你愈來愈好!........................................

欣穎啟佐 said...

18禁,聊天,免費影片,美女短片,0401,免費聊天,免費視訊,0204,78論壇,亞洲影城,視訊聊天,免費影片,聊天室,ut,成人,視訊,都都,視訊,打飛機專用網,小高聊天室,視訊,免費影片,a片免費,a片,18,免費線上視訊,日本a電影,影音視訊聊天室,貼圖區,av,383,77p2p,85cc,無碼,av影片,av專賣店,a片線上看,a圖,免費線上影片,微風成人

佳穎盛卿 said...

廢話不多,祝你順心~^^........................................

Nath0113anaelDrumm said...

好文!值得一推~~加油哦!.............................................

怡潔 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。...............................................................

ShilaL_Kappler said...

Well done!............................................................

皇雅婷豪 said...

與人相處多微笑,個人獨處多沈思。 ............................................................

benjaminga said...

More haste, less speed.............................................................

歐英傑 said...

人要先學會做一隻駱駝,然後才能做一隻獅子........................................

tgibson said...

過去的事早已消失,未來的更是渺不可知,只有現在是真實的。........................................

張孟勳 said...

一切與生俱來的天然贈品,時間最為寶貴........................................

玫友 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention...................................................................

張瑋劭 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。.................................................................

筱涵 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。....................................................................

JonasTabr有香 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

玉婷良DGFHFJ瑋黃吳 said...

Hello~Nice meet you~~............................................................

MinBar林 said...

閱讀您的BLOG文章,真是件快樂的事!..................................................................

竹青 said...

hi!~~leave you a message to say hello, and thanks for your share!..................................................................

韋志韋志 said...

天下沒有意把鑰匙,可以打開所有的門............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

要用心經營哦~~祝福你~~
...............................................................

婉婷 said...

人生像一杯茶,若一飲而盡,會提早見到杯底.......................................................

李琪 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

淑凡 said...

好熱鬧的部落格 我也支持你繼續加油 好文不寂寞 ^^..................................................................

香昱信張君林 said...

路過看到好的blog,來留言湊個熱鬧............................................................

李威昌v彥霖 said...

不妄求,則心安;不妄作,則身安!.......................................................

趙吳維倫彥廷 said...

這不過是滑一跤,並不是死掉而爬不起來了。..................................................

佳陳容 said...

Man proposes, God disposes..................................................................

文王廷 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼.................................................................

文王廷 said...

Each to his own. 人各有志,加油!............................................................

文王廷 said...

如果你批評他人。你就沒有時間付出愛......................................................................